Welcome to www.safefishing.com.au, a service of the Recreational Fishing Alliance of NSW, sponsored by the NSW Recreational Fishing Trusts, Surf Life Saving Australia, NSW Sport & Recreation, Australian National Sportfishing Association and the fishing tackle industry.
Join our mailing list
Receive our free monthly newsletter "NSW RecFisher" and also our occasional safe fishing email alerts, sent whenever NSW weather and tide conditions look dangerous.
Subscription is free and you can sign off any time you like.
Win one of our 24 free life jackets!
Enter the RFA's
Rock Fishing Safety Life Jacket Competition
The Recreational Fishing Alliance of NSW is giving away two lifejackets every month for 12 months from September 2012. The total value of the giveaway is $1,200 inclusive of GST.
Simply do one of the following then fill out the form and enter the competition to win a lifejacket. Only one entry per person per month is allowed.
1) Take a look at our YouTube videos on safe rock fishing, or
2) download our safe rock fishing fact sheets, or
3) request an information DVD about fishing safety tips.
Then fill out the entry form by clicking here.
Terms and Conditions:
1. Information on how to enter and prizes form part of these conditions of entry.
2. Employees of the promoter and their immediate family, agencies and companies associated with this promotion and persons under 18 years of age, are ineligible to enter.
3. Entries close last data received on the last Friday of the month. The draw will take place at 10 am on the second Wednesday of the month thereafter at the Promoter, 13 Keysor Rd, Pagewood NSW 2035, Australia. Winners will be notified by email and their names published in www.safefishing.com.au on second Friday of the month thereafter.
4. Competition is open to residents in NSW and ACT who fill out the entry form at www.safefishing.com.au. Entries open from 1 September 2012 and close for the first draw on Friday 28 September 2012 and the first draw on Wednesday 10 October 2012. Entries close for the last draw on Friday 30 August 2013 and the last draw on Wednesday 11 September 2013.
5. There are 2 lifejackets to be won at each draw per month for 12 months from 1 September 2012. Competition closes on 30 August 2013. Each prize is valued at $50. Total prize is 24 lifejackets at $1,200 inclusive of GST.
6. For unclaimed prizes, a redraw will be conducted on Wednesday 18 December 2013.
7. The Promoter, its employees, contractors and Agents shall not be liable for and shall be held harmless for any loss, damage, injury or another claim whatsoever (including but not limited to direct or consequential loss) suffered or sustained as a result of or arising from person(s) participating in this Promotion and associated publicity or in utilising one of the prizes.
8. Claiming of prizes is consent for the Promoter to use winners' names and photographs for publicity purposes.
9. By entering your detail in the official entry form, entrants acknowledge that they have read and understood these Terms and Conditions and are bound by them and any decision of the Promoter relating to the conduct and operation of the Promotion. You may be sent other rock fishing safety information occasionally in the future. You will be able to opt out of any such information at any time.
10. The Promoter is Recreational Fishing Alliance of NSW (A.B.N. 52 142 674 484), PO Box 328 Matraville NSW 2036, Australia. The Promoter’s Agent is Multicultural Marketing and Management (A.B.N. 59 062 774 663), Suite 12, 27 Hunter Street, Parramatta, NSW 2150.
ACT permit number TP 12/03369
NSW permit number LTPS/12/06898
Winners so far:
Garry Coble, Leanne Scurr
John Conway, Jia Cai
Lipic Antum, Nick Vendrasco
David Blight, Tom Lindsay
Ian Osterloh, Tahani Darwich
Kalvin Bisetto, Tommy Kwok
Nishant Sharma, Nicole Burton
Van Nguyen, Rod Wither
Mike Gerner, Karl Schaerf
Tianho Jiang, Peter Rosencranz
Jake Young, Richard Conley
Check out our rock fishing safety video!
Stay at home in rough weather
Winter is the danger time for rock fishers around Australia. You can stay safe by wearing the right footwear, never fishing alone, . Most important of all, in rough weather find a safer spot or stay home. Click here to read more about staying safe on the rocks.
Here's our freshwater fishing safety video...
Like to do your fishing under the water?
This is the video about safe spearfishing produced by the Underwater Skindivers & Fishermen's Association...
Safe fishing DVDs no longer available
Unfortunately our popular fishing safety DVD, Don’t Put Your Life on the Line, featuring videos on rock fishing, freshwater fishing and underwater fishing safety is no longer available due to a decision by the NSW Advisory Council on Recreational Fishing not to support funding of any further production of the DVDs.
Did you know EPIRBs have changed?
Distress beacons such as EPIRBs, ELTs and PLBs have changed. From 1 Feb 09 the old 121.5MHz distress beacons are no longer detected by satellite. By now you should have updated to the new (and much more powerful) 406 MHz beacons, many of which are GPS capable, greatly increasing your chance of fast rescue in an emergency. For a quick guide to distress beacons and how to upgrade and register, click here to download this quick guide from the Australian Maritime Safety Authority.
Free use of information from SafeFishing.com.au
We encourage everyone to use the information on this website and to distribute it among other recreational fishers, fishing clubs, schools, community groups and the media. Permission is usually freely given on request to all non-profit users.Click here to contact us.
Weather reports are your most important piece of fishing gear